Monday, February 21, 2011

True Love....!!!


One busy  morning an elderly gentleman in his eighties arrives in my clinic to have stitches removed from his thumb. He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9.00 a.m. I took his vital signs and had him take a seat  knowing it would be over an hour before someone would be able to see him. I saw him looking at his watch time and again I decided to evaluate his wound as I was not that busy and no more patients were waiting. On examination I saw the wound was completely healed and so I asked one of the Doctors to remove his stitches and redress his wound.

While redressing I started to talk to him whether he had another appointment that morning as he seemed to be in a hurry. The Gentleman said he wanted to go to another nursing home to see his wife and have breakfast with her. I asked as to what’s wrong with her and he said it has been quite some time since she has been hospitalized she was a victim of  Alzheimer’s Disease.

As we talked…. I asked him would she be upset, if he gets a bit late? To which he said she no longer knows who he was and has stopped recognizing him since the past 5 years now. I was taken aback and asked  “Sir and you still visit her daily even though she stopped recognizing you….he patted my hand and said…..she doesn’t know me but I very well know who she is……..I had to hold back tears as he left. I had goose-bumps on my arm when I thought that is the kind of love I have been waiting for all my life. True love is neither physical nor romantic. True love is the acceptance of all that is , has been, will be and will not be. The happiest people don’t have the best of everything but they make the best of everything that they have.

I grew up hearing stories of Romeo-Juliet, Sohni Mahiwal, Heer Ranjha…..and then the films like Ek duje ke liye and Qayamat se Qayamat tak…Oh what dedicated human beings being portrayed…….do we find them in today’s lives….or my Mom and Dad who just completed 40 years of marriage… or this Gentleman who is so dedicated towards his wife…are they truly in Love?? Yess..….Can true love live happily ever after…??…..I think the other way round. True love has no end……It just goes on increasing till infinity…. They say its better to be loved and lost, than not to be loved at all…..true…..it was the only emotion which God created I think jealousy, animosity, pride, anger, ego, hatred are all man made. And hence make no sense at all. Blessed is the person who loves and is loved….

Can there be any parameters of love??? Can it be measured??? Can it be judged??? We can’t even restrict love to words………..it is beyond words…….the eternal emotion which even the Gods experienced…….Self-less, motiveless, pure, chaste and the most wonderful thing that can happen to mankind. It enters when you are not even aware of it….and gives you an endless feeling of ecstacy and it never leaves you. People say his/her love has left…………I disagree it can never leave u…….It just spreads its wings within you…

As they say Life isn’t all about how you survive in the storm its all about dancing in the rain….

4 comments:

  1. And death and love are the two uninvited guest's..they come and they conquer you :-).. Beautifully written and i agree...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good one Geets, badi gehraye hain teri baat main..

    ReplyDelete
  3. sadly love cannot be measured... we will be lucky if the one we love actually knows how much we feel for them...

    ReplyDelete